Multimedia Production Discussion Group
The Multimedia Production Discussion Group, sponsored by the Video Round Table, is an online discussion group that meets to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and discussion on the operation, design, management or development of the computers, software, and equipment needed for multimedia production.
Shelly McCoy, Co-chair, 2009-2011 Head, Student Multimedia Design Center, University of Delaware Library
Justin Wadland, Co-chair, 2009-2011 Head, Media and Visual Resources, University of Washington Tacoma Library
and approximately 30 people who deal with multimedia production, or are interested in it.
- January 9 - 13, 2012 email discussion week
- June 6 - 10, 2011 email discussion week; Dec. 10, 3 pm (EST) Skype Mtg.
- December 13-17, 2010 email discussion week; Dec. 15, 11 am (EST) Skype Mtg.
Future Meeting Topics
- Recommendations and guidelines for curriculum design involving multimedia production. For example, tool kits for faculty and how to integrate it in class and guidelines on how to make best use of equipment.
- How to start a multimedia production center from from scratch
- How to reach out multimedia production when it is outside the Library
- Core skills necessary for supporting multimedia.
- Supporting the technical aspect of multimedia production. For example, how do you decide to go to the next version of software?
- Equipment. How do you find the next latest, greatest thing? How do you monitor appropriate use. Do you fix things or replace the equipment?
- Copyright and fair use issues of multimedia production. Perhaps discuss VRT best practices in fair use.
- What about new hand held devices like flip cameras? Some people are checking them out. What are the pros and cons?
- Training student help. How do you find student with media skills? It’s important to have other students to teach other students.
- Here is the link to the Google Spreadsheet that is called Multimedia Production Centers: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkeBMlRrodxwdC1Ta0tzWXhYMUlrb1d3b0RyZl82MEE&hl=en
Please edit to add information about your Centers or others that you know!